Friday, July 22, 2005

Zion National Park: Echo Canyon

I had done Echo Canyon before in 2004 at the end of a six year long drought and my 3 year old son, my husband and I just walked a large section of it. This time through we swam and made our way through cold pools of water and there were some fun raps and downclimbs. We wore our wetsuits and were again comfortable. The water was not as cold as Das Boot (we did this the day after doing Das Boot) but we were glad we had on suits. It was darker in Echo Canyon, and although I did not realize it at the time, it was clear when I looked back at my photos. Echo Canyon, like Das Boot, is a narrow wet canyon with a lot of fun downclimbs. To find it hike up from Weeping Rock past the entrance to the East Rim Trail or Hike up from the East Rim Trail and go up a ways toward Observation Point. The complete trail description is on my website. http://www.zionnational-park.com This canyon I give another thumbs up!