Sunday, January 07, 2007

Steamboat Rock - South Coyote Buttes


When we hiked to Cobra Arch - We saw Steamboat Rock from a distance and wondered --- so today we checked it out!

This place was cool! I just don't know how we could have been so lucky
to get out there when the sand was frozen ( driving and hiking made
simple) but the winter in this area RULES! After a day of hiking and
photographing that would make anyone drool I just have to say.....WoW!
You know what Tanya? Even the drive out, with my white knuckles as the
sand had softened, was so absorbed as I heard of Michael Kelsey’s
descriptions of the possible German, Russian Spies "Cache" at "Yellow
Rock" area, I really believe that one of these days we may too stumble
on to something inexplicable! ( I think we have) Wait!!!!!!! Its all
inexplicable! Where did it all come from? Rabbits lumbering in shaded
portals; Hawks perched on pillars a million years in the making...sand,
snow, wind and flows of mud uncovered after being hidden well before
history? Its an endless search that will always be welcome....at least
for those that desire.

Thank you again today for allowing me and driving me to continue that
search! I will never understand all the mysteries...thank goodness! How could it not be? Every thing just seemed like a painting, begging
to be seen. The posture of the Bunny was so straight, proud and un-
interrupted, it seemed as if he was just waiting to be admired. The
Redtail on top of the Dome perched motionless. I wanted to see its
eyes, but the distance was just a few feet too far. I still was able
to see his eyes, and I could see myself in them. I felt eerily like I
belonged there. Deja Vu?

The temps were perfect. The snow that had fallen several days
earlier had mostly melted except on the shaded slopes. The moisture
however had remained and was frozen on the surface and beneath. I
would guess that in the morning as we drove out 9AM, hovered around
25? and as we hiked maybe a couple deg. warmer. After
circumnavigating Steamboat Rock (shaded on the northern flanks) and
heading south back to the Rover, the sand had softened a little in
the sunlight. I was a bit worried that we may have to wait until the
night temps would freeze the ground once again, but mostly the
surface had thawed and the ground underneath remained frozen making
the drive back out perfect. All in all, I just don't know how it
could have been better.

Steamboat Rock would be better explored during hot/warm periods from
Buckskin Gulch at the Middle entrance/exit of the Gulch.

-- Bo Beck

Steamboat Rock
Zion National Park